Across the country, devices are quickly replacing paper in schools and in the classroom. Not only is it an environmentally friendly transition, but also devices allow for access from anywhere and help save time by speeding up manual work and using great tools like voice recognition. It is the way of the future, and we’re here to help you make the best selection.
With so many choices out there, which are the best, affordable devices for use in a preschool, child care, or camp setting? The most important feature criteria to consider include:
- Price: what is in your budget?
- Screen size: Do you prefer a larger screen or something more mobile (i.e. tablet vs. mobile phone)
- Camera quality: It’s important to have a good camera for photos and videos. We recommend a minimum of 5MP.
- Durability: Lower price devices are great, but will you have to replace them every year?
- Operating system: Check the Apple app store or Google Play store to see the versions we support
- Accessories: It’s generally a good idea to purchase a low cost case for protection of devices that are going to be in the classroom, and you may want a standing case or tablet stand for use with our Check-in Kiosk mode.
We’ve done some research and internal testing here at brightwheel, and have a few recommendations for both tablets and mobile devices that are brightwheel compatible. Brightwheel runs on all iOS and most Android devices.
Tablets are a great choice, especially when used as a check-in kiosk. A few tablets we recommend:
Our top recommendation. This tablet has an 8MP rear and 5MP front camera, dual microphones, and 2 side speakers tuned with Dolby Atmos.
This tablet has average handle and UI with a 5MP camera.
The 8” option from Lenovo with a 5MP camera.
The iPad is generally a safe bet with a high quality screen and camera.
Although a lot of schools do lean towards tablets, we often recommend mobile devices for in-class use because you can easily use brightwheel and quickly put it away. In this case, you wouldn’t actually need to use the phone functionality; you can just put it on wi-fi.
For more affordable options, these are our Android phone recommendation, balancing quality and cost:
This one handles quite well with solid UI. 16MP camera.
A real bargain with a high-quality camera.
A popular classroom choice with an amazing camera. Options ranging from 16 to 128 GB.
This would also be a good time to mention that here at brightwheel we have worked tirelessly to build a platform that makes teachers lives easier, streamlining their processes, allowing them more time to engage with kids.
Brightwheel is an affordable, easy-to-use app for preschools, child care, and families. Download it today and get started!