Oftentimes, preschool is the first time toddlers are away from their parents for extended periods of time. Between adjusting to a new environment and socializing with other children, preschoolers (and their families) need a sense of comfort to support this big transition.
Equipping your preschool with essentials for learning, comfort, and safety is a great way to make this change from home to school less disruptive.
Enter: our preschool supply list. This list contains all the essentials children need to adjust to their new environment comfortably.
Must-have preschool supply list for classrooms
Preschoolers and teachers require the right items to keep them engaged in classrooms and facilitate learning. In addition to learning materials, you'll also have to consider storage items to keep all your supplies organized, as well as classroom cleaning supplies.
Here is a must-have preschool supply list for classrooms:
- Blocks and puzzles
- Comfortable rest mats and floor cushions
- A resource center with magazines and books
- Art supplies like crayons, glue, scissors, paint, construction papers, etc
- Storage such as bookshelves, clear storage containers, and shelves to keep the classrooms organized
- Manipulatives such as lacers and counters for motor development
- A play area with props to encourage the preschooler’s creativity
- A music center that has all music genres and musical instruments to allow children to experiment and explore their interests
- Outdoor play supplies such as trickers, rockers, and wagons to supplement the indoor learning
- A sanitizing station with hand sanitizer and disinfectant wipes to keep the learners’ hands clean at all times
- Cleaning supplies such as multi-purpose cleaning spray, disposable gloves, paper towels, and a broom and dustpan
Download and print our free childcare and preschool supply list to keep track of all the essentials you need for your early education program.
Preschool supply list for children
Aside from classroom supplies, preschoolers will need some personal necessities before the school year starts.
Here’s a supply list to share with families:
- Extra clothes: Preschoolers are very active and likely to soil their clothes in their adventures, so it’s safe to send them with extra clothes.
- Indoor shoes or slippers: Wearing school shoes all day can be very exhausting for toddlers, so it can help to give them an option.
- Pencils and markers: These are basic supplies for every preschooler. Ensure you check them daily and replace them if they’ve lost them.
- Pull-ups or diapers (if your child needs them)
- Child-sized reusable water bottle for hydration
- A lunchbox, spoons, and forks if your child stays over lunch. Some schools prefer paper plates and disposable utensils, so communicate your preferences to families.
- Hand sanitizer
- One roll of tissue paper (to be replenished as needed)
Optional preschool supplies
This list is more convenient for children who require a little help adjusting to their new environment.
Here are some optional supplies to ask families to pack for their children:
- Games and toys: These can help engage toddlers during playtime or before pick-up in the evening.
- Childcare supplies like combs, toothpaste, and toothbrushes.
- Personal storage box to store their supplies where they can easily locate them.
- A family photo: This can help if it’s the first time a child is away from their family.
- A nap-time blanket: A familiar blanket can comfort children with anxiety.
- Large t-shirts or overalls for molding, painting, or other messy activities.
Back-to-school shopping can be stress free. A supply list keeps you organized and ensures you buy all the items your preschool classroom needs. Having a supply list also helps you budget for these items.
We hope our preschool supply list helps you keep up with your school shopping this year. Happy shopping!
Brightwheel is the complete solution for early education providers, enabling you to streamline your center’s operations and build a stand-out reputation. Brightwheel connects the most critical aspects of running your center—including sign in and out, parent communications, tuition billing, and licensing and compliance—in one easy-to-use tool, along with providing best-in-class customer support and coaching. Brightwheel is trusted by thousands of early education centers and millions of parents. Learn more at mybrightwheel.com.